Sunday, December 12, 2010

Orange Gob (Whoopie Pie)

This is my mom's orange cookie recipe and a new frosting recipe. The frosting was a bit dense as it was so I ended up adding more milk and OJ to get it creamy.

Orange Gobs

2/3 cup shortening (crisco)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 tbsp grated orange rind
2 ¼ cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
1/2 cup OJ mixture (1/4 cup frozen concentrate, 1/4 cup water)
1 cup nuts: optional

Butter Cream Frosting (this is a double recipe, probably should reduce by 1/2)
• 1 stick butter
• 4 cups confectioners' sugar
• 4 to 5 tablespoons orange juice (equal parts frozen concentrate and water)
• 1 tbsp finely grated orange peel
(I ended up adding 1/4 cup OJ mixture and 1/4 cup milk)

Preparation:
Cream butter; add sugar gradually, alternating with enough orange juice to make frosting the right consistency for spreading. Stir in orange peel and salt.

4 comments:

  1. To be followed by CookiePalooza Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is! I have a berry lemon one I'm making today too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Non-chocolate gobs. I think I love you. (though the car bomb gobs up there look fantastic, too; their name is my favorite part.)

    ReplyDelete