Sunday, December 19, 2010

No.


I am a nice girl. I don't yarf and tell. I won't post a link to where I got this recipe. The woman's blog was very lovely and well-thought-out and full of delicious-sounding recipes.

This one, though? SUCK.


Citrus Pate de Fruits. Simple.

2/3 cup fruit juice, such as fresh tangerine or pomegranate (I used a mixture of orange, grapefruit, and tangerine)
6 tablespoons smooth apple sauce
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
1 3-ounce envelope liquid pectin
2 teaspoons lemon juice

1. Combine juice, apple sauce, and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Boil, stirring constantly, until mixture hits 238 degrees. Okay. I know numbers.
2. Stir in pectin; cook and stir for one minute. Gotcha.
3. Stir in lemon juice and immediately pour into lightly-greased molds or loaf pan. Sprinkle surface with remaining sugar. Allow to sit for 1 1/2 hours, then unmold (and slice, if necessary). I'm with you.
4. Roll in granulated sugar. Whee! (Oh, wh - roll the candy? Oh. Well.)
5. Enjoy?


Nope. All I tasted was apple. I even grated a tiny bit of tangerine zest in there, hoping to make it not taste like hot sugar applesauce sorta tangy liquid. No dice.

But the texture was what got me. I saw several recipes for pate de fruits - some using apples as the pectin, some using liquid pectin, some using gelatin. Most of them said the liquid pectin method produced the best texture - soft, only slightly gummy, intensely fruity.

Again, no dice - I could've played jacks with these things.

Boo. Hiss. Yarf. Sigh. Maybe it was the roll-around-in-sugar part that turned it to ick.

No comments:

Post a Comment