Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cheese straws

I've pretty much given up on taking pretty pictures until I get my own place (11 days, 11 days..), so I 1) don't have to sneak in cooking after everyone's gone to bed, and 2) can arrange cheese straws on the back porch in order to take advantage of the perfect lighting if I darn well please.

Until then.. sigh.. welcome to Overeditedshiretonville.


Cheese Straws
adapted from Ina Garten's recipe at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/cheese-straws-recipe/index.html

1 box (2 sheets) puff pastry, thawed
1 egg, whisked with 1 tbsp. water
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup grated parmesano reggiano cheese
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp. dried thyme, ground
Roll out 1 sheet of puff pastry to approximately 10x12. Brush with egg wash, then sprinkle generously with salt and pepper (more than you think you'll need; I took it easy on the salt, thinking the salty cheese would make up for it, but later wish I'd used more). Toss the cheeses and thyme together in a bowl, then sprinkle half onto puff pastry. Cut in half lengthwise, then cut into 12 strips total. Twist the straws and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.

Bake at 275 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until golden. Cool completely on a rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment