Sunday, October 31, 2010

Apple Cranberry Bread


I honestly didn't expect great things from this recipe, only because I pulled it out on a whim after another recipe failed me at 3:00 this morning while preparing food for a brunch, and ALL I wanted to do was make another easy dish as a "filler" and GO TO BED. Since I'd already prepared other fall-spiced apple dishes for this brunch, I wanted something that used apples, wasn't super-sweet, and wasn't spiced/cinnamony. This was it. And it was GOOD.



Apple Cranberry Bread


2 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2-3 cups chopped apples (I left them unpeeled)
1 cup fresh cranberries (next time I'll increase it to 1 1/2 cups)

Streusel topping
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup dark brown sugar (light brown would be fine)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
3 1/2 tbsp. cold butter

In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, and oil. Combine all the dry ingredients and mix into wet ingredients just until barely combined (batter is extremely thick). Stir in apples and cranberries. Pour into a greased loaf pan and top with streusel. Bake at 350 degrees for 65-75 minutes, or until knife/toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean with just a wee bit of a schmear.

No comments:

Post a Comment