Sunday, November 6, 2011

Beef tips and rice with corn bread

This is the best beef recipe I've ever made. The meat was just falling apart and the beer gave it a more complex flavor than beef broth would have. It doesn't hurt that I was using organic beef that my cousin raised.

The corn bread is Jiffy corn muffin mix, but I used buttermilk instead of milk.

Beef Tips on Rice

1 to 2 lbs stew meat (I used a heel roast)
~½ cup flour with salt and pepper
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp olive oil
1 onion diced
2-3 cloves garlic
1 Tbsp dried parsley
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup beef bouillon
1 bottle of dark beer (I used Guinness)
salt and pepper
1Tbsp corn starch and 1 tbsp water

cooked rice (2 cups uncooked)

Cut meat into 1 inch pieces, tenderize (sprinkle with tenderizer and poke with fork). Coat meat in flour mixture.

Brown meat in dutch oven with 1 tbsp of butter and 3 tbsp olive oil. Remove meat, brown onions and garlic with more olive oil.

Add beer and boil (scraping pan to get brown bits into broth. Add 1 cup bouillon, cream of mushroom soup, parsley, salt and pepper.

Simmer for 2 ½ hours at 300* (can increase to 325 for last hour). Add veggies and cornstarch 1 hr before done

serve over noodles or rice

Next time I will try adding 2 more onions sliced into 8 pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment