adapted from http://www.acommunaltable.com/tandoori-chicken-with-mango-curry-slaw/
This is spicy without being overpowering, if you want it hotter add more cayenne pepper and/or more jalapeno.
* 1 cup plain yogurt (regular or greek style)
* 4 cloves of garlic, minced and mashed to a paste with salt
* 1/2 jalapeno pepper, minced
* juice of 1/2 of a lemon
* 2 tsp. fresh, grated ginger
* 2 Tbsp. garam masala
* 2 tsp. tumeric
* ½ tsp cayenne pepper
* ½ tsp curry powder
* 4-5 drops red food coloring (optional)
* 8 chicken drumsticks, chicken thighs or 4 chicken breasts
1. Combine all ingredients and stir to coat evenly with the marinade.
2. Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes and up to 1 day.
3. Line a cookie sheet with foil. Spray a rack with cooking spray and place on top of the foil lined pan.
4. Remove the chicken from the marinade (leave the yogurt mixture on) and place on the rack.
5. Bake at 425* for 30-45 minutes (on convection if you have it) or until internal temperature reaches 165*. Turn the chicken once ½ way through the cooking time.
Garam Masala (if you can’t find it at the grocery store)
* 1 Tbsp. ground cumin
* 1 Tbsp. ground coriander
* 1 Tbsp. ground cardamon
* 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
* 1/2 tbsp. ground black pepper
* 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
* 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1. Combine all the spices in a small, airtight container.