Sunday, April 18, 2010

Low Fat Lemon Frozen Yogurt


Bought a new, bright red toy last night, so I needed to try my hand at making something sweet and frozen with whatever ingredients I could scrounge up. I used a mash-up of recipes for frozen yogurt, lemon buttermilk sorbet and lemon-buttermilk sherbet. My taste-testers judge the results to be pretty tasty at the soft-serve stage straight out of the ice cream maker, and I suspect it will be even tastier after a few hours in the freezer.


1 cup raw sugar
1 large lemon plus
lemon juice to equal about 1/4 cup
3 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup non-fat plain yogurt

  • finely mince lemon peel
  • juice the lemon, add juice from bottled lemon juice or another lemon to make 1/4 cup
  • combine sugar, juice and zest in non-reactive pan over low heat, stirring until sugar melts
  • cool to room temperature, combine in a bowl with the buttermilk and yogurt
  • chill several hours or until you return from walking your dogs and cannot wait another minute to try out your new toy
  • prepare according to ice cream maker directions.

Note: If you rush the syrup by using a higher temperature or combine your ingredients without allowing to cool to room temperature, your lemon syrup may transform into a gooey wad of candy at the bottom of your milk mixture. A quick trip into the blender on "liquefy" will remedy this situation. Not that it happened to me. But should you be a tad impatient, you might find this
advice helpful.






2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I am angry at mine, I don't think it froze long enough, because mine did not freeze it at all :-(. I will try it again after it freezes longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds wonderful! definitely want to try this recipe this summer.

    ReplyDelete